This article was originally published at: https://herforward.com/who-owns-lanai/

Who owns Lanai? Lanai is not a company, but rather a Hawaiian island. As of recent, Oracle Corporation’s co-founder Larry Ellison owns around 98% of the island, having purchased it in 2012 from Castle & Cooke. The remaining 2% consists of small private homes, local government ownership, and public spaces.If you are referring to a company named Lanai and not the Hawaiian island, please provide more information or context so I can better assist you.

Company History

Lanai is not a company but rather a Hawaiian island. It is the sixth-largest island out of the eight major ones in Hawaii. Lanai has an interesting history of land ownership, which changed over time. Here’s an overview:

1. Pre-western contact:

Before the arrival of Western explorers, the island was inhabited by Native Hawaiians, who were essentially the island’s “owners.”

2. Western contact and early ranching

After the Western contact, Kamehameha I, the first King of Hawaii, took ownership of Lanai in 1802. Walter Murray Gibson, an American, then bought the island from the kingdom of Hawaii in 1861 on behalf of the Mormon Church. Gibson and his son, Talbot P. Gibson, turned the island into a large-scale ranch.

3. Dole Corporation and Pineapple Plantation

In 1922, James D. Dole (the founder of Hawaiian Pineapple Company, later known as Dole Food Company) bought Lanai and started a pineapple plantation on the island. For much of the 20th century, Lanai was famous for its pineapple production, earning the nickname “The Pineapple Island.”

4. David H. Murdock Ownership

Castle & Cooke, a large business conglomerate that owned part of Dole Food Company, acquired the operation on Lanai. Eventually, in 1985, David H. Murdock consolidated ownership of Dole Food Company with Castle & Cooke and took over the ownership of Lanai.

5. Larry Ellison Ownership

In 2012, Larry Ellison, co-founder of Oracle Corporation, purchased 98% of Lanai from David H. Murdock for a reported sum between $300 million and $600 million. Ellison now owns most of the land, businesses, and facilities on the island. The remaining 2% is owned by the state and private individuals, including some native Hawaiians.

As of now, Larry Ellison is the primary owner of Lanai. He has expressed plans to make the island more sustainable, with initiatives aimed at improving the environment, economy, and well-being of the island’s residents.

Who was the founder?

It seems that there is some confusion in the question. Lanai is an island in the Hawaiian archipelago, not a company. To provide relevant information, I’ll address the topic of Lanai Island and its ownership.

Lanai, the sixth-largest Hawaiian island, has a rich history that predates Western contact. It was initially inhabited by Native Hawaiians who formed fishing and agricultural communities. The island experienced significant changes when James Dole, the pineapple magnate, bought a significant portion of it in 1922 to use for his Hawaiian Pineapple Company.

Under Dole’s leadership, Lanai transformed into the world’s largest pineapple plantation, earning the nickname “The Pineapple Island.”In 1985, businessman David Murdock (Chairman/CEO of Castle & Cooke, a California-based company) acquired control of the company that James Dole formed. He then privatized the island, which resulted in him owning 98% of Lanai’s land. In 2012, Larry Ellison, the co-founder of Oracle Corporation, purchased a majority share (approximately 98%) of Lanai from David Murdock.

Ellison is a billionaire and a technology entrepreneur who has invested in sustainable development projects on the island.

FAQ: Who Owns Lanai?

1. What is Lanai?

Lanai is a Hawaiian island, and it is the sixth largest island in the archipelago. It is also known as the “Pineapple Island” because of its history as a pineapple plantation.

2. Who owns the island of Lanai?

Larry Ellison, the co-founder of Oracle Corporation, is the current owner of the island. He bought 98% of the island in 2012 from Castle & Cooke’s owner, David Murdock.

3. What was the selling price of Lanai at the time of purchase?

The exact selling price was not disclosed by either party, but it was reported to be around $300 million.

4. What is the vision of Larry Ellison for Lanai?

Larry Ellison has expressed his vision to transform Lanai into a sustainable and economically viable island, focusing on environmentally friendly projects, including organic farms, solar power, and a seawater desalination plant.

5. How many people live on Lanai?

As of the 2020 census, Lanai has a population of approximately 3,100 people.

6. What are the main sources of income and employment for the residents of Lanai?

The main sources of income and employment for the residents of Lanai are the tourism industry, agriculture, and other related businesses.

Sources for More Information

 

Featured image provided by Jess Loiterton; Pexels; Thanks!

The post Who owns Lanai? appeared first on Under30CEO.

This article was originally published at: https://herforward.com/who-owns-lanai/

Her Forward

2ff167582d05bd77c691dabdd36e6e68

Her Forward is a US news publication founded by Michael Peres (Mikey Peres) in 2021. Our publication is dedicated to bringing you the latest news and insights on female entrepreneurs and leaders.